Saturday 5 March 2016

Scuba Diving!

On Friday I went scuba diving at a local leisure centre and I can safely say it was amazing. I have never done anything like it before and I was really excited to give it a go.

The depth of the pool was only 3.5 metres, but provided enough space for a beginner like me to get to grips with the whole process and also be able to move and have some fun. I was quite taken aback at how heavy all the equipment is, especially the jacket, however once you deflate the jacket and begin to sink it all feels weightless.

I found it to be such a strange feeling sinking to the bottom of the pool whilst trying to control my breathing through a regulator. It's really weird to hear yourself breath so loud whilst trying to keep the regulator in your mouth to avoid getting any water in. One thing I found really difficult was keeping my knees firmly on the bottom of the pool: I found myself floating and rising to the surface all whilst trying to keep myself down. However once some weights were put into my jacket, I then found it impossible to get off the floor - I got there in the end and when I finally began swimming it was amazing!! We were taught lots of signs and signals so we could communicate with eachother and so the instructor could make sure that everyone in the pool was safe which I thought was genius.

We were provided with an electrical 'scooter' which you held on to the handles and it zoomed you around the pool. We also did backflips off the side of the walls which was pretty epic.

I found that once all of the initial learning was done and I could cope with the high pressure that made my ears hurt so bad, I began to really enjoy myself and it is definitely something I would do again!

I hope you enjoyed reading,
Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment